Sidesteps challenge the hip joint and muscles to support the body when the hip is in abduction (leg sideways) and adduction (leg across towards opposite side of body). Practising these can improve balance and stability.
- Do these close to a wall or kitchen worktop so you can support yourself if needed.
- First aim to do very small side steps, keeping feet close together.
- Then do this looking forwards, not at your feet.
- If this becomes easy do with your eyes closed.
- Move sideways 3-5 meters and back, repeat 3 times 1-2 times a day.